Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church, located along Hwy 905 in Conway, is the mother church of St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church, where some members desired to form a church closer to the communities in which they lived.
St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church's first orally recorded establishment was in the year 1852 (which was before slavery ended) somewhere along Highway 701 North in the Allentown community of Conway, SC approximately across from where the Horry County School district bus office is located. It was called a "bush shelter" and was believed to have been built by Rev. Mitchell McNeil and Rev. H.H. Hunter.
The first Deacon was Handy Faulk and his family were among the first members and helped break pine branches for the new shelter. His daughter, Emma, is the earliest grave found in the St Paul Cemetery, with Feb 18, 1893 listed as the date of death.
The second establishment, also called a "bush shelter", was located in the vicinity of Grier Swamp on Maple Road in Conway. By this time, the church was growing in number and it was decided a better, bigger church shelter was needed.
It is recorded on January 23, 1882 (Horry County Records Book NNN, page 487) that J.H. Roberts gave one acre of land to the church. At this time the church was moved to its third location on Stackhouse Drive into a log building adjacent to the current cemetery.
The church's current site, along state Hwy 65 in Conway, is the fourth location of the church, which was dedicated to God in 1955. Deacon Chairman Famous Gore did the interior wood paneling that surrounds the pulpit and choir stands.
Mt. Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church, located on Hwy 701 N in Conway, is a daughter church of St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church. It was organized in 1919.
Many of the original families that established St. Paul Missionary Baptist during slavery times are still active within the church today.
May God continue to bless St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church and the surrounding communities!
Previous Pastors of
St Paul Missionary Baptist Church
1912-1919 Reverend H.H. Hunter
1919-1928 Reverend H. B. Wilson
1928-1930 Reverend S. R. Eagles
1930-1933 Reverend C.S. Chestnut
1933-1936 Reverend F. P. Graham
1936-1946 Reverend G.W. Watson
1946-1951 Reverend C. V. Bellamy
1951-1959 Reverend Roundtree
1959-1969 Reverend John Beese, Jr.
1969-1972 Reverend E.J. Durant
1973 Reverend John Beese Jr.
1974 -1978 Reverend Smart Smalls, Jr.
1978-2004 Reverend Lonnie B. Chestnut, Sr.
2005-2012 Reverend Jonah B. Booth, Jr.
2012-2015 Reverend Wade B. Sessions (Interim)
2015-Present Reverend Ronald K. Henry, Sr.